There’s a plethora of baby clothes and accessories that come in different shapes, sizes, and colors. As a parent, it can get quite overwhelming deciding what clothes to get your kids especially when they are much younger. For newborn babies and toddlers, most parents just stick to simple onesies in plain colors like white. There are also lots of onesies that come in different colors and with cute sayings on them. I don’t think I’ve seen my 1-year-old nephew in anything other than a cute onesie and it’s always fun reading the cute sayings on them like “Lil cutie general” or “too cute to handle”. This is a great option for parents as kids need to be in the most comfortable clothes that support them playing around and growing. And if parents want to dress up the kid, they can add Baby Bows to the outfit if it’s a girl and for boys just get them a cute accessory like a boy tie or a hat.
Now let’s talk about the nets fabrics for baby clothes. We all know that baby clothes should feel light and comfortable. They should be soft to the skin and shouldn’t be too warm or cold. With so many options for baby clothes out there, it pays to be armed with some information so you can shop for your babies with more intention.
Cotton is a common choice and easily the most popular choice of fabric for children's clothes and accessories. This is because it possesses many qualities that a baby’s clothes should have. Cotton is soft and highly absorbent, and it is gentle against a baby’s skin. Organic fabric, and organic cotton fabric, in particular, is the perfect choice for babies, as it is grown without the use of chemicals and fertilizers. Babies and toddlers often have allergies or specific skin conditions which can be aggravated by rough and/or synthetic fabrics. Buying clothes made with organic cotton is a safe way to ensure that children will be comfortable, even if they have skin issues which are triggered by heavy dyes and chemicals.
Advantages of Cotton
Cotton has lots of advantages and reasons why it is the number one choice for kids clothing. Let’s discuss some of these advantages
- Cotton is a natural, 100% organic fabric.
- Cotton clothes are soft and do not rub harshly against baby’s soft skin.
- Cotton fabrics permit better aeration and will keep your baby cool. The nature of cotton permits it to absorb and remove body’s moisture like sweat easily.
- Since it is a natural fabric, cotton is non-allergenic. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about baby breaking out in rashes or being itchy with eczema.
- Cotton is perfect for babies who suffer from asthma because unlike other materials, it does not release small particulate matter that can trigger an attack.
- Cotton is durable and easy to use.
- You can wash and dry cotton fabrics easily. They can be tumble dried or hung up to dry. They are also machine washable which comes in very handy for parents.
- It is easier to clean cotton fabrics than other kinds of fabrics. They release dirt and grime easily, so there is no need to use harsh soaps and chemicals to get rid of stains and dirt on cotton fabrics. A mild baby detergent and some warm water will be sufficient for washing cotton clothes.
- Unlike synthetic material, cotton clothes and blankets can be washed in hot water. The fabric can endure high temperatures without affecting its quality or durability. Therefore, cotton fabrics can be sterilized making it perfect for your newborn.
- Synthetic products are often treated with plenty of chemicals to give them a good finish. These chemicals can cause rashes on our newborn baby’s skin. Cotton, on the other hand, is not subjected to such finishing treatments. This makes it perfect for your newborn’s use.
- It is a good idea to use organic cotton clothes for your baby. Organic cotton is made using natural fertilizers and absolutely no chemical fertilizers or pesticides. Therefore, this kind of cotton is the best for your baby.
- Plastic diapers make babies feel hot and uncomfortable. They are a hazard to the environment too. They cannot be degraded easily. Use diapers made of cotton instead. Cotton clothes absorb plenty of moisture before causing dampness. Cotton diapers will keep your baby dry, cool and comfortable. Unlike diapers made with synthetic materials like plastic which will lock moisture in thereby making your baby feel hot and uncomfortable.
- Cotton is also great for the environment as it is 100% natural and biodegradable. SO bonus points for environmentally conscious parents.
Now besides cotton and the many advantages that it possesses, there are also other fabrics that are good for baby clothes and accessories too. Some of these fabrics are:
Jersey Knit: Cotton jersey knit fabric is another great choice for children’s and baby items. Jersey knit is breathable and easy to work with, making it an excellent choice even for sewing novices (for all you DIY moms) and making it extremely wearable. It resists pilling and is very stretchable. Jersey knit is also incredibly soft, making it a fantastic fabric for simple, fun apparel. You can choose to buy everyday play clothes in a jersey knit fabric.
Fleece: Fleece is another fabric that just like cotton, is known for its warmth, making it a go-to fabric for outerwear and blankets. Fleece dries quickly and is extremely soft, making fleece materials the perfect fabric for babies. Best of all, fleece is simple to wash and resists stains. When in doubt, choosing a fleece fabric is an effortless way to give the newest baby in your life some comfortable homemade clothing and accessories.
Bamboo Rayon: Bamboo rayon fabric is the perfect fabric for swaddles, blankets, hats, and garments, winter hats, and winter baby bows. It is an ultra soft yet durable rayon fiber derived from bamboo plants. It’s great for sensitive skin and is thermal-regulating, meaning that it will adjust to a child’s temperature and is, therefore, less likely to become too hot. This attribute makes bamboo a wonderful choice for layering.
Gauze: Gauze fabric comes in two forms: single gauze and double gauze. Whether you pick single or double gauze, this cotton fabric is light, breathable, and airy. It is sometimes referred to as muslin in ready-made products for receiving blankets. Single gauze is just one layer of gauze, but Double Gauze is the real star of the show, featuring two layers of gauze that are tacked together at regular intervals. Japanese double gauze is highly prized for its ultra soft hand and opacity.
Please note that the quality of these fabrics might vary due to dying, extra processing, and the manufacturing process. Make sure you are buying from a trusted and reputable source.